Pages

About Me

My photo
I like shiny things, like a magpie. I also like Peanut Butter. Thats another story.

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Work Experience - Day 2.

So yesterday I forgot to mention something about my work experience. I learned yesterday that I am only doing a four day week, one day less than which I thought I was doing. Apparently Friday is some sort of public holiday so they Pharmacy are closed for that day. But I'm not complaining. So today, the morning was the same as yesterday. Wake up early, shower, have breakfast (Honey Nut Cheerios), watch TV, and set off around 8.20am.. It was freezing this morning! And there was this massive wave of fog rolling in over the hills so the sun was blocked out, making it colder. Anyway, I got to the Hospital and went it. I was greeted and stuff and for the first hour and a half I sat around and did the odd bit of dispensing (Writing up labels and sorting the drugs into boxes for patients being discharged). After the tea break, which wasn't nice. The milk was a bit off and the sugar had run out so we used sweeteners, but a cuppa is a cuppa. At 11.00am Thom Shaw gave me a talk about Bipolar disorder, what it is and the drugs that are used for it. This lasted 30-40 minutes and afterwards I helped one of the other pharmacists, Jill, go round two of the wards and see which drugs they have and which they didn't. Back at the department I wrote up a form for the drugs that were needed for those wards. Lunch was for 45 minutes and during that time I played a bit of Minesweeper and Solitaire on one of the laptops. I also looked up some conditions which affect the mind i.e Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Alzheimers, Depression... After lunch I restocked the Pharmacy drug shelves with fresh drugs which came in today, and was introduced to the blister pod. It may sound disgusting but it's not. It's basically a box with holes for morning, lunch-time, evening and bed-time for each day of the week. Into these holes we put the drugs which had needed to be taken at those times, on those days. This method is mainly for disabled people or old people who couldn't read the labels on the boxes for their drugs. After that I did some more research on some sort of stuff and played more Minesweeper. Not much happens after 3.00pm to be honest.. DFTBA.


Andrew's iLog

No comments:

Post a Comment